Naturopathic Medicine is based on science and rooted in personalized holistic medicine. Naturopathic Medicine encompasses many different treatment modalities, which allows the physician to draw from a vast array of tools in order to treat the person rather than the disease.
Treatment Modalities Used In Our Offices
- Botanical Medicine – Our doctors often prescribe supplements that contain medicinal herbs or tinctures (liquid herbal extracts) to treat disease, while at the same time helping to minimize side effects.
- Nutrition – We believe that healthcare starts with getting essential nutrients from our food. Using food as medicine offers a powerful modality to treat and prevent disease. Though nutritional supplements and vitamins can be an effective tool for treating disease, health starts with the foods we feed our body. As naturopathic doctors our goal is to help ensure that our patients are educated on their individualized nutritional needs taking into account lifestyles, medical histories, and future health goals.
- Physical Medicine – We use modalities that include taking pain management one step further. We strive to help our patients understand their relationship with pain and provide a treatment plan that addresses their whole body health (physical, mental, and emotional). Pain is complex and we routinely go through a menu of options available to patients to help manage their acute or chronic pain. This may include craniosacral therapy, manual therapy, chiropractic adjustments, biofeedback therapy, physical therapy exercises, supplements to help reduce inflammation, dietary recommendations, and many additional therapies.
- Counseling – Our doctors are trained in counseling techniques, like active listening and mindfulness, that help them ensure patients’ concerns are heard and understood. This allows our doctors to understand their patient’s concerns in a way that we feel is essential to creating a therapeutic relationship. This approach is what creates the foundation for shared decision making (helping patients make the decisions that are most important to them and their health).
- Pharmaceutical prescribing – Naturopathic doctors are trained in the prescribing of all medications necessary in primary care medicine*. When pharmaceutical intervention is needed we are able to make recommendations that are in the best interest of our patients taking into account the level of seriousness of a concern and potential side effects of a medication.
*Currently in the state of Washington naturopathic doctors are not able to prescribe narcotics, stimulant medications, or benzodiazepines.
Receive health tips, insightful articles, and our latest updates by joining the list.